Sunday, February 9, 2014

THIS IS WHAT I SAY

Nowadays when I'm on the phone dealing with the latest soul-less bureaucrat or whomever, and my military service becomes apparent and they go "Oh thank you for your service . . ."


. . . well its a nice thing to say and I'm not ungrateful or anything, but what do you say? I wasn't a hero or anything so what do you say to a thing like that??? I appreciate the sentiment, it means a LOT it really does, 'coz there was an occasion I actually overheard this bitch in a Lesbian bar in Key West utter the shameless "babykiller" line and glance in my general direction . . .

The problem is the minute they blurt out "Thank you for your service . . ." there's suddenly this moment, this pause, where it's like they're envisioning me storming the beaches at Normandy or something.

Well I've met the men who stormed those beaches, and jumped into Ste Mere Eglise, and I'm not one of them. So I came up with something defuses the situation, that doesn't make it sound like they're talking to Rambo or Sergeant Rock:

"Hell, it was better than working for a living."

When you think about it, that's the God's Honest Truth.

STORMBRINGER SENDS

8 comments:

  1. Yes, but you served in the defense of this Country. I did not take the oath, eat the bad food, slept in a rack with the guy below me passing gas, got paid crap, etc.

    Thank you for your service Sir. It matters just as much as the heroes that did stunning things. Because you were there and accepted the duty. I am grateful that you did so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, a simple "you're welcome" is all that's needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a simple "you're welcome" is all. That and an appreciation that the left has not done to our generation and today's Veteran's (not through lack of trying) what they did to the Viet Nam generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It was a privilege."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . . it WAS a privilege . . . and an HONOR . . .

      Delete
  5. TomR, armed in TexasFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM

    I'm a Vietnam vet and I appreciate all the Thank Yous. In the 60'/70's they were replaced with glares, sneers and open hostility. That was my peer group of draft evaders and other assorted spoiled brats. F**k 'em!

    I always return the Thank Yous. I feel there is a return to patriotism and these Thank Yous are genuine. I want people to know their gratitude is warmly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also offer my thanks.

    You're welcome will always suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh....I saw a stack of caps at the VA with this patch. I laughed out loud and other vets came by to see what was so funny.

    They sold all 10 in minutes. I love wearing mine.

    ReplyDelete